While I wait for the Eagles’ decisive defeat of the Cowboys tonight to get underway, I thought I’d do a little catching up on the WPS front.
The 2010 season gets underway in April. The Breakers’ home opener is Sundat, 4/18 at 6PM against the Philly Independence – who’ll be bringing Heather Mitts, Kelly Schmedes, Sue Weber, and Amy Rodriguez back to Harvard Stadium for their first game against their former team … pray for an unseasonably warm evening (hey, it could happen)!
There’s lots of news! Here’s a quick run through:
- The WPS has surpassed 200,000 followers on Twitter … are you one of ’em? Give it a try!
- Here’s an interesting article about Jen Nobis and the upcoming Breakers’ season:
Nobis’ performance during the latter half of the 2009 WPS season impressed Boston Head Coach Tony DiCicco and his staff so much that they put Nobis on their list of protected players for the WPS Expansion draft, meaning that the two new teams, the Philadelphia Independence and Atlanta Beat, could not select her in the draft. Nobis also wasn’t declared a free agent, indicating that the Boston coaching staff have big plans for Nobis in 2010.
“I was surprised they saved me, but I’m glad they did,” Nobis said. “They see something in me for this season. I know what’s to be expected this year. I’m ready.”
But to earn a spot on the pitch, Nobis said she has to put in an extra effort. That’s why she’s training six days a week, working on ball skills every day, and conditioning herself to the point she knows her body will be 90-minutes fit.
“It’s awesome to be here and getting prepared for the season,” Nobis said. “I’m working really hard with my training and practicing different things. You’ll definitely see a different Boston Breakers team. I think it will be a good improvement.”
- The WPS draft will be held this coming Friday (the 15th) at 10AM with the Breakers’ having the #2 and #11 picks (that’s 2 picks in the first round). They (the Brakers) have invited fans o take part in a mock draft … if you have the time and inclination.
- I’m surprised to see that the LA Sol have traded Camille Abily to FC Gold Pride. She was one of my favorites in the fledgling league … glad I’ll still get to say her name … and hope she’ll help the Pride to realize their potential.
- Here’s a nice installment in the “Getting Silly” series. This interview is with the Breakers’ (and USWNT’s) Secretary of Defense, Amy Lepeilbet.
And speaking of the USWNT, Pia has called players into camp to prepare for The Algarve Cup, which kicks off February 24th.
It’s nice to see Pia again!