Unfortunately, USSF is not exactly being forthcoming on news of the USWNT vs. Brazil game. What I’ve been able to cobble together is that the USWNT won 1-0. The goal was scored by A-Rod. Abby played an awesome game … as did Boxx (based on some of the comments I read on BigSoccer). It sounds like Lloyd left the game early … and Rampone got hurt (don’t know how seriously). Brazil was without Marta and Christiane (both playing in Europe) … so we might not want to get too excited about this result. I’ll post any further information, as it becomes available .. and apologize prophylactically if anything I’ve shared here is incorrect! Meanwhile, here’s an article about Leslie Osborne and her ACL tear, for those who are dying for something soccer-related to read!
In San Francisco, longtime lesbian-feminist activists Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin were among those who got married yesterday. At 83 and 87 respectively, Lyon and Martin have been together for 50 years! “Several feet away sat a couple on vacation from Ireland who happened to stumble on the historic event. Christine Yearsley said she planned to stay at City Hall the rest of the afternoon to witness as much as she could.
‘This gentleman just told me there are two elderly ladies who are getting married today after being together for 50 years,’ she said. ‘They’re obviously committed! I think it’s terrific. They’re an example for heterosexuals, I think.'”
- Al Gore’s endorsement of Obama … which should help things along on the uniting-the-Democrats front.
- The Phillies’ 8-2 drubbing of the Sox. (Yes, JPE, I enjoyed the game!)
- Yesterday’s awesome US Open … even had ME caught up watching some golf!
- The amazing fact that the McCain camp has shared another fake recipe from Cindy McCain. (Maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on them – were someone from my staff to post a recipe from me, it would have to be fake as well … including the staff part, I’m afraid!)
- Finally, Obama’s hiring of Patti Solis Doyle to be chief of staff for his yet-to-be-named VP has people puzzled and speculating – especially about what it means relative to Hillary.