I was going to write about the WPS’ Sol Dispersal Draft (Boxxy went first, and Marta moved up the coast) and especially how the Breakers fared … but I had a comment by a guy named Noah on my post about Obama at the Georgetown-Duke game … and just felt like I wanted to focus on THAT a little.
It’s one of those comments that comes along from time to time, and reminds me of the huge and crazy-making gulf that exists in this country. Here’s what Noah said:
How can you call this grace? O’Bummer is scrambling and he has no idea what to do. Massachusetts a red state now?!? The Democratic Party is falling on it’s face. They had the house and senate majority for years AND THEY STILL CANNOT PASS THEIR AGENDA…epic fail.
Pull your head out of the sand and come over to reality. All of O’Bummers ideas might sound good, but they are fiscally impossible. I’m no history scholar, but I’m pretty sure one of the major reasons the USSR collapsed was because they flat out went broke. Wouldn’t it be a shame if the US collapsed because we ran out of money? Or maybe all of you progressives subconsciously want this…
Noah invites me to “come over to reality” – and that’s what always brings me up short. We truly do live in different realities, I think. Noah seems to truly believe that the world as he knows it is in danger … at the hands of people like me. I am a threat to what he holds dear. (Of course I don’t actually know Noah … but I do feel, from the tone of his comment, that he is upset with me .. don’t you?)
What feels tragic to me is that the Noah’s of this world appear to me to be passionately defending people who wouldn’t even deign to spit on them … meanwhile blaming the party that actually is trying to do something to make this country livable for classes other than just the wealthiest. (And don’t get me wrong … I am probably almost as pissed at the Democrats as Noah is – but for different reasons altogether.)
Joining Noah with bizarre and disturbingly paranoid perceptions of Obama is a large percentage of self-identified GOPers, according to a recent poll. Here are a few samples from the results … they leave me speechless:
- 39 percent of Republicans believe Obama should be impeached, 29 percent are not sure, 32 percent said he should not be voted out of office.
- 36 percent of Republicans believe Obama was not born in the United States, 22 percent are not sure, 42 percent think he is a natural citizen.
- 31 percent of Republicans believe Obama is a “Racist who hates White people” — the description once adopted by Fox News’s Glenn Beck. 33 percent were not sure, and 36 percent said he was not a racist.
- 63 percent of Republicans think Obama is a socialist, 16 percent are not sure, 21 percent say he is not
- 24 percent of Republicans believe Obama wants “the terrorists to win,” 33 percent aren’t sure, 43 percent said he did not want the terrorist to win.
- 21 percent of Republicans believe ACORN stole the 2008 election, 55 percent are not sure, 24 percent said the community organizing group did not steal the election.
- 23 percent of Republicans believe that their state should secede from the United States, 19 percent aren’t sure, 58 percent said no.
- 53 percent of Republicans said they believe Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president than Obama.
The powers that be at the GOP do not actually believe any of this (they are grown-ups, after all). But they are what I would call evil, because they are perfectly willing to use fear, prejudice, and disinformation to block progress and recoup/retain power. They do this in the service of the monied elites that own the party.
People like Noah are being thoroughly duped by their craven machinations. And Noah will be angry and upset to hear this. He probably won’t believe it … but if he doesn’t wake up, he’ll need to start constructing his ark (if he hasn’t already). There ain’t a lot Obama (or the rest of us) can do in the face of this much blindness, greed, and dishonesty.
And most likely, when all’s said and done, he’ll continue to blame “progressives” – because that’ll be the lie he’s fed by the elites of the GOP – and why think beyond that?